Award for Excellence in Online Teaching
Nominations are not currently being accepted for this award.
Introduction to Award
The Office of Distance and Extended Learning in the Division of Academic Affairs is pleased to support the annual Award for Excellence in Online Teaching.
The award recipient will receive $2500, and up to two runners-up each will receive $1250 at a recognition reception. All recipients will be asked to present their work to the campus community.
The awardees may be asked to assume a leadership role in promoting online instruction at Texas State and serve on the award selection committee.
Purpose of Award
The award recognizes and rewards superior online teaching, provides models of excellence for fellow faculty, and encourages all faculty to continue to improve and advance their online teaching pedagogy.
To nominate yourself for the award, follow the submission directions below. You will need to complete a nomination form and submit documentation for one online course you taught in Fall 2017, Spring 2018, or Summer 2018. It is recommended that you review the nomination form and documentation requirements well in advance of submission.
Applications are not currently being accepted.
Note: You will be required to provide access to a course site that allows judges to assess the quality and frequency of your interaction with students.
- Download and add comments to the Quality of Course Design Rubric. Your comments should summarize how your course addresses each point in the rubric. The rubric, along with your comments, will be used to judge your submission.
- Prepare a Student Feedback on Course Effectiveness Report. Refer to these guidelines for preparing this document.
- Complete the Nomination Form, and attach the supporting documentation described above.
- Note: Nomination Forms that do not include the required documentation (Quality of Course Design Rubric and Student Feedback on Course Effectiveness Report) will not be considered. If you have any questions regarding the preparation of the documentation, please contact the Office of Distance and Extended Learning.
- In your course site, select Add Participants in Site Info and enter evaluator as the username. Assign evaluator the Instructor role, so judges who log in with this username can examine all aspects of your course.
- Accept nomination form and documentation: March 30, 2018 - October 26, 2018
- Judge entries: October 29, 2018 - November 2018
- Announce award recipients: January 2019
To be eligible to receive an award, courses must
- be developed and taught by faculty who teach a minimum of half time and/or have a continuing appointment;
- be 85% or more online; and
- have been taught online in Fall 2017, Spring 2018, or Summer 2018.
The award is based exclusively on work conducted while serving a teaching appointment at Texas State University. The criteria for the award include
- quality of the online course design,
- instructional and technology innovation, and
- student feedback on course effectiveness.
Award Selection Committee
The Distance and Extended Learning Steering Committee appoints a selection committee. The committee is comprised of the following:
- Committee chair
- Three faculty with demonstrated online teaching experience (may be filled using previous award recipients, and the faculty representatives must represent different departments)
- One representative from Learning Experience Design
- One representative from the Office of Distance and Extended Learning
A previous recipient (whether winner or runner-up) of the Award for Excellence in Online Teaching
- may receive the award more than once, but not more than once every three years; and
- cannot receive the award for the same course more than once (e.g., if a faculty member was recipient of the award for work done on TXST 101, he/she may not win the award subsequently for TXST 101 but may nominate a different course).
View previous winners: